Iron is one of the important minerals that the human body needs, therefore we highly recommended to consume foods that contain high iron. Function of iron is to carry oxygen from the lungs throughout the body. Iron combines with oxygen in the lungs and release oxygen in the blood that requires. Iron used in the manufacture of hemoglobin and play a critical role in the normal functioning of the immune system.
Iron deficiency causes inhibition of hemoglobin in the blood supply. Disease due to lack of hemoglobin (red blood cells) is called anemia. Common symptoms characterized by less passionate, tiredness and weakness, pallor and dizziness.
Adult males (with a body weight 75 kg) containing ± 4000 mg of iron, while adult women (with a body weight 55 kg) containing ± 2100 mg of iron. Men have iron stores in the spleen and bone marrow as much as 500-1500 mg, that is why the lack of blood (anemia) is relatively rare in men. Instead, women only have reserves of iron 0-300 mg so prone to anemia, especially in women of childbearing age experience menstruation.
Requirement for iron depend on gender and age, adequacy that recommended each age are as follows:
- children 2-6 years 4.7 mg / day
- aged 6-12 years 7.8 mg / day
- males 12-16 years of 12.1 mg / day
- girls 12-16 years 21.4 mg / day
- adult males 8.5 mg / day
- adult women of childbearing age 18.9 mg / day
- menopause 6.7 mg / day, and feeding 8.7 mg / day.
Adequacy rate is calculated based on the bioavailability of 15%. Iron in the diet can come from vegetable sources with 2-3% bioavailability and animal sources with 20-23% bioavailability. To improve bioavailability, iron yag derived from plants can be added with vitamin C and other organic acids.
And here are 20 foods that high in iron:
- SpinachSpinach, is a vegetable that really help us to bind iron. With spinach we can tie a lot of iron, and the spinach is already known to reduce the symptoms of anemia. So do not hesitate to eat spinach every week. In addition to iron, spinach also contains vitamin A.
- FishMarine fish believed rich in omega-3 and 6. Baronang fish known to contain as much as 3.8 mg of iron per 100 grams. The Selian sardines also contain 2.5 mg of iron per 100 grams. Salmon fish is the main source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids. And do not forget there's another one, namely tuna.
- YogurtYou will get minimum one-third of the calcium content in one cup per day. Calcium will build and maintain bone health.
- EggsEggs are rich in all minerals, including iron, and vitamin B. Ideal eggs consumed at breakfast as it contains adequate amounts of energy.
- Dried FruitFruit raisins, apples, pears, apricots and peaches are most commonly dried fruit. But dried fruits that contain lots of iron is raisin and plum. In each ½ cup raisins contained 1.9 mg of iron and in 1 cup prunes contained 1 mg of iron.
- BeefIn 100 grams of fresh beef contains 201 kcal of energy, 14 grams of fat, and 2.8 mg of iron.
- Potato skinsMaybe most of us do not eat the skin of the potatoes and peel it for disposal. Apparently, the study found that the potato skins contain iron five times larger than its own flesh potatoes.
- CornCorn is rich in iron and copper. Corn is also a good source of vitamins A and C.
- KaleKale is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin B and C. Kale contains high amounts of iron, calcium, and potassium.
- ChardChard is a vegetable that contains vitamin A and iron.
- ApricotsThis fruit contains iron that perfect to make sure the body gets iron intake.
- Beet greensBeet greens are a source of vitamins A and B2. Beet greens can also enrich the blood with iron and manganese.
- OrangeHelp fight diseases caused by lack of vitamin C, because of citrus fruits contain folic acid.
- PrunePrune fruit, is a type of fruit that has a lot of iron compared apples and papayas. In the prune juice contained 3mg iron. So try this fruit to smoothen our blood circulation throughout the body.
- NutsPeanuts, green beans and soy beans are kind of nuts that easily processed. 100 grams of soybeans containing 381 kcal of energy, and 10 mg of iron. While green beans contains 323 kcal of energy and 7.5 iron per 100 grams.
- LentilsIn 1 cup of lentils contains 6.6 mg of iron.
- Brown riceSource of fiber, vitamin E, folic acid, and iron.
- Wheat bread
Wheat bread is the choice for dieters, other than that, it turns out that oats contain large iron, besides having the function of preventing heart disease and cancer. So, even if not on a diet, whole grain bread can be an option for our iron binding.
Raisins contain iron that very high. Raisins are also foods that are alkaline and can help the body overcome acid conditions.
Food that often served for breakfast menu is very good for health. ¾ cup of cereal contains 18 mg of iron. While 100 grams of instant oatmeal contains 11 mg of iron.