There are many health benefits of dragon fruit. Dragon fruit is a beautiful fruit with an intense color and shape, the flowers were breathtaking. Like blooms at night, this fruit also called Moonflower, Queen of the night, and the Lady of the Night. Usually the fruit is dark red, it can also be found in yellow or pink.
Dragon fruit was originally known as pitaya. This night-flowering cactus plant is also known as strawberry pear, skogkaktus, pa-ni-ni, catobarse and long gou. Originating in Mexico and South America, this fruit is now also grown commercially in Asia.
Dragon fruit have a taste similar to that of kiwi fruit, pear and watermelon. There are a lot of seeds in the dragon fruit. Apparently the seeds are unsaturated fats that are good for health because it lowers good cholesterol and expel the bad cholesterol.
Dragon Fruit Nutritional Values:
Here is the nutritional value of dragon fruit in 100 grams of fruit:
- Niacin - 1.3 mg
- Riboflavin - 0.044 mg
- Thiamine - 0.0 mg
- Vitamin C - 9 mg
- Vitamin B3 - 0.43 mg
- Vitamin B2 - 0.045 mg
- Vitamin B1 - 0.043 mg
- Iron - 0.65 mg
- Phosphorus - 36.1 mg
- Calcium - 8.8 mg
- Carotene - 0.012 mg
- Crude fiber - 0.9 g
- Fat - 0.61 g
- Ash - 0.28 g
- Protein - 0.229 g
- Moisture - 83 g
- Others - 0.68 g
Benefits of Dragon Fruit For Health
- Dragon fruit is a good source of antioxidants, prevents and protects from free radicals that cause cancer and other health detriments from entering your body.
- This fruit helps to neutralize toxic substances such as heavy metals. In addition, high blood pressure and cholesterol levels can be reduced by eating a dragon.
- Consume dragon fruit because it helps to fight cough and asthma.
- This dragon fruit has a high amount of vitamin C and helps in the healing of bruises and wounds quickly and boost the immune system.
- Vitamin B2 is present in dragon fruit acts like a multivitamin and helps to repair and restore the loss of appetite.
- Vitamin B1 in this fruit helps in increasing the production of energy and also in the metabolism of carbohydrates.
- Due to the presence of vitamin B3, helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels. It improves the appearance of your skin by smoothing and moisturizing it.
- Other benefits of dragon fruit is improving eyesight and prevent hypertension.
- Because it is a good source of phosphorus and calcium, strengthens bones, helps in tissue formation and teeth healthy.
- Regular consumption of dragon fruit help weight loss, thus creating a balanced body.
- Dragon fruit is also very helpful in reducing blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
Dragon fruit is very versatile and can be served in many ways. Dried dragon fruit can be added in salads. This creates a healthy chewy texture. It can also be used as a topping in pizzas. If you are fond of eating breads, you can make your own dragon fruit jam or preserves. As a dessert, it is great to eat a fresh pitaya or dragon fruit as a whole or as a compliment to ice cream. You can even use it as an ingredient in your homemade cocktail.